How to eat healthy: Quick, easy, and delicious meals
Eating healthy can be a challenge for all of us in the fast paced and overwhelming world we live in! Most of us assume it is time consuming and difficult to create recipes that are good for us and even better tasting. Follow these fun and creative steps to answer that daunting question of how to eat healthy in amidst my chaotic lifestyle?
- How to Eat Healthy: Do’s and Don’t’s
- How to Eat Healthy: New Recipes
- Positive Effects of Eating Healthy
How to Eat Healthy: Do’s and Don’t’s
There are so many myths out there regarding healthy eating, it is challenging for any beginner to know what is right or wrong. Read the tips and tricks below, reported by SkinnyMs, to get started on your health journey!
- Do: Eliminate sugary drinks from your diets. Drinks are empty calories that will not satisfy your hunger, but still add calories. Examples: Soda, Gatorade, Red Bull.
- Don’t: Skip meals. A lot of beginners to healthy eating think they will be better off if they eat less. THIS IS A MYTH. Starving your body from the fuel and energy it needs will force you to eat larger portions later in the day for sustenance.
- Do: Become comfortable with veggies. Whether its snacking between meals or adding in a veggie and subtracting out a carb for dinner, vegetables are a prime source of eating healthy and eating wisely. Some good veggies include: Broccoli, Green Beans, Spinach.
- Don’t: Overeat. Regardless of what you are eating, portion control is key to finding a healthy eat balance. Actively weigh out the appropriate size for the party you are feeding, and ask yourself “Am I hungry, or am I bored snacking?”.
- Do: Reduce processed food intake. If you can substitute an additive ingredient with a fresh and natural one, do it! Excess chemicals are exactly that….unnatural for the body, mind and skin. Natural ingredients do not have the same harmful preservatives.
- Don’t: Indulge in excess alcohol intake. Alcohol, regardless of if it is wine, liquor, or beer, is high in calorie intake and often drives hunger.
How to Eat Healthy: New Recipes
Finding recipes to help you eat healthy can be as big of a challenge as the lifestyle change itself. It is helpful to begin with an initial dish for both the sweet and savory daily cravings. Remember do not starve yourself from indulging in a delicious treat, just make it the right treat. When I cook, I add or subtract ingredients as I go based on my tastes, but the recipes below are ones I call on frequently when I want to teach someone how to eat healthy and still be satisfied. Suggested serving size is 5 to 7 people.
White Turkey Chili (Ingredients)
- 1 Lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups of chopped celery
- 2 cups of chopped carrots
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 1 diced yellow onion
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Crushed red pepper
White Turkey Chili (Instructions)
- Step 1: Thoroughly wash the ingredients.
- Step 2: Chop the celery and carrots into bite sizes.
- Step 3: Dice the onion.
- Step 4: Add a dash of extra virgin olive oil to a frying pan with the chopped celery, onion and carrots. Sautee the ingredients for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Step 5: Open the can of cannellini beans and crushed tomatoes, mix with the ground turkey to a large cooking pan
- Step 6: Add the sauteed veggies to the large cooking pan.
- Step 7: Let ingredients cook until boiling or meat is browned.
- Step 8 (Optional): Add a dash of crushed red pepper….yummy and spicy!
- Step 9: Serve it up and have a delicious meal for friends and family with little to no maintenance!
Homemade, Fresh Apple Sauce (Ingredients)
- 10 apples…any kind will do, pick your favorite!
- 5 cups of cold water
- 1/2 a cup of cinnamon
- Sugar Free Reddi Whip
Homemade, Fresh Apple Sauce (Instructions)
- Step 1: Peel 10 apples. Be sure to cut out any seeds or the core.
- Step 2: Thinly slice apples.
- Step 3: Add cups of water. Mash the apples and water until you get a thick but chewable consistency.
- Step 4: Add the cinnamon for flavoring.
- Step 5: Stir cinnamon in.
- Step 6 (Optional): Warm serving size in the microwave for 45 seconds. Add a squirt of Reddi Whip.
- Step 7: Eat up! Yummy!
Please email me @howtoeathealthy.com on how your meals turn out, if you have any questions or issues, or future recipe suggestions. If you are looking for other strategic tips and super foods, weightwatchers.com is a great resource for how to eat healthy
Positive Effects of Eating Healthy
With the kickoff of 2019, citizens are back on their new years resolutions of eating healthy, and engaging in more exercise. What can you expect from this life change? The Health Line newsletter highlights benefits associated with eating healthy, some of which we do not even realize we are reaping the benefits of. Scroll down to learn more about the positives of eating simply delicious!
Summer is around the corner, and so is beach season. Eating healthy is a easy way to control excessive weight gain, especially when we are too busy for regular exercise. Decreased intake of danger foods (sugars, saturated fats, carbohydrates) will aid in keeping extra pounds off, leading you to a slimmer build and flatter stomach.
Save your money for something with tangible results, save it for the next big adventure. Eating healthy will prevent you from health failure and protect your body from falling ill. You will be less likely to be hit with a high copay, or add a new prescription to your grocery store checkout each week. Not to mention, pocket that five dollars you were going to spend on a Starbucks Frappucino and put it towards a new outfit to show off that perky weight loss!
Healthy habits will likely increase longevity through prevention of certain health conditions, such as heart disease, stroke, various types of cancer, and many more. If you watch what you eat on a regular basis, you can maintain healthy levels of cholesterol blood pressure. This allows for improved blood flow, which prevents cardiovascular blockage
Eating a healthy and well balanced diet leads to an improved physique and easier mobility. Eliminating fatty, sugary, and greasy foods will help you trim down, feel more confident in your appearance, and get back to enjoying the activities you love without worrying about your low self-esteem. Good nutrition can lead to increased cognitive function and less stress.
Have you ever had that sluggish , exhausted feeling following the demolition of your thanksgiving dinner? Me too. The overloading of carbs, sweets and salts can be a direct cause of this feeling. A balanced diet helps your body receive the fuel it needs without overdoing it, leaving you in the ever popular “Food Coma”.